I distinctly remember one Sunday my friend telling me she wanted to be a nurse. I laughed in her face and said why would you do that. Nursing is so stupid! I hope I didn't hurt her feelings but that is what I truly thought. Who would ever want to be a nurse!
Then, one day I was in class and was thinking about my future and working. I wanted to chose a major what would guarantee me a job after college and pay well. I also realized that my childhood dream was just that a dream. I did not want to go to 7 years of school! After class I was like a zombie. I feel like I had no control of my body. The next thing I know I am in the nursing office and asking questions about nursing! I walked out and started to laugh. I wanted to do nursing, who knew..
I remember asking myself, Can I do this? Can I handle blood, old people, working all night long, and the hard class work? If I thought about it too long I would have changed my mind, so I really didn't think, I just did it. I changed all my classes, my major and started my nursing career road.
I was right on track. I would graduate in 4 years, like any normal college student. I was doing very well in all my classes and had the grades to get into nursing school. I had all my semesters planned out until I graduated. THEN, I got married. I was 1 year behind Bryan and he wanted to go to Medical school. We talked seriously about him deferring for a year so I could finish my RN but I didn't want to post-pone Bryan's 10 year schooling ahead. So I would find an alternate route.
I went to LPN school. Once I started school nursing came very natural to me. Things made sense. It was common sense to me. I did extremely well on all my test and finished with a 3.95 GPA. When I graduated I started applying for jobs. My boss told me he hired me because of my GPA. I had no experience but he was impressed with my hard work in school.
Right after I graduated from LPN school we found out Bryan got into medical school and we would be moving to Florida. I was so excited. His hard work and prayers paid off. That meant I would not be able to finish my RN in utah. I decided to finish online. It is not my ideal route but I am doing it. I have finished all my classes and now have my clinical skills weekend in less than 2 weeks. Then, I am done. I am finally DONE college. 5 years later.
I told Bryan when we moved to Florida I kind of feel like a loser. I went to college and only graduated with an associates degree of nothing and my LPN. Most of my friends were graduating in a bachelors of something and applying to Masters programs. It took me a long time to get over feeling like a loser. BUT I am grateful for the opportunity to go to school and have a career.
As I sit down write this I am so excited to be finishing my degree. Nursing is hard. It is hard work and stressful. But its rewarding and I feel like my hard work is finally paying off. I just need my awesome RN job now. I am so excited to be a money making machine.. so is Bryan!
Good Job Jay! I am proud of you. I love you man! Don't feel like a loser. Look at me... in college 6 years later.
ReplyDeleteThat is so exciting to be DONE!!!! Let the money makin' begin!! :)
ReplyDeleteOhhhh Janelle. This post was so heart-warming and sincere, right down to the part where you expressed your eagerness to be a "money making machine." And I'm with Nat, don't call yourself a loser until you've been working on your undergrad for six years! Haha love ya
ReplyDelete