Friday, October 15, 2010

Jail Bird

I have been working at the jail for almost 1 month. I never thought in a million years I would be working there. I actually don't hate it. The work is easy and not stressful at all. That is the main reason why I like it. My last job was so stressful that I cried to and from work every time. Its a relief to have a pretty stress-free job. BUT there are some negative about working in a jail. First the language is awful. Second, its like a dungeon and I am all by myself in my nursing post. Third, I work with crazy patients. I have concluded inmates are crazy. Finally, I can't bring a cellphone in. I don't talk to Bryan all day until I come home.

The overall experience is pretty good. It has really made me rely on the Lord more for comfort and safety. I pray every morning to be protected. I have learned that I am grateful for my freedom. I have also learned a lot about the world around me in such a short period. I think we have a failing jail system that needs to be fixed. I have no idea how to fix it but its definitely failing. We have so many "frequent flyers" in the jail system. We spend billions of dollars to help these people out and they come right back into jail.

I work in an ALL male section of the jail and have about 200 patients. I actually prefer working with male inmates instead of women. Women inmates just scare me. I have not heard too crazy of stories yet. Most people are in the jail for drugs, alcohol and theft.

2 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman. I am proud to call you a friend. It's awesome that you were able to find a job so quickly. Bryan is a lucky fella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I'm sure you are learning and growing so much from this experience. I've definitely had my eyes opened living in Harlem. It makes me realize how easy I've had it and how blessed I am, even though sometimes I think I've had a "hard" life compared to others. There are so many failing systems in this country and it's hard to safeguard against the freeloaders, especially when there are so many people who really do need the help.

    ReplyDelete