So I got my first job as a nurse and super excited. I feel well prepared for my job and use most of the information I learned in school. I am getting really good at learning new medication, what they do and how they look. BUT there are some things that I HATE!! this is the part where i vent..
1. I love the ER. I like fixing the patient and moving on. I am not really into the long lasting relationship part of nursing!! To bad I don't work in the ER yet.
2. I work on weekends! I am realizing that I can never take a weekend VACA again! Ha
3. My schedule is not a 9 to 5 job. I have to come in when they ask or need me too.. this makes it hard to schedule my days and make plans... This is my number one thing I hate about work!
4. Passing medications ALL DAY LONG is not that fun. I like the fast pace of a hospital.
5. I am super nervous about making a mistake. I try to be a perfectionist at work
6. My feet KILL by the end of 16 hours.
7. I hate the Hour drive!
8. This is the first time in my married life that I thought about getting pregnant.... If i get pregnant then I can quit work:) Then I realized I am crazy and not ready for children.
9. I LOVE the money.. it makes it all worth it.
As I was writing this I started to feel like I sound ungrateful for my job and a brat. I am so grateful that I found a job in this economy, especially being a new grad. I am grateful for the experience I am receiving and the friendships I am making. This is my first REAL job and I think I am very overwhelmed. I came home after the first day of real work and cried all night! But I know with practice and time I will be a great nurse!
Jane 14.5 months
8 years ago
I saw a link to your blog on someone else's blog. Congratulations on your first nursing job!!! Jordan just started his first nursing job last week (LPN, you're probably an RN?). He's still going to school and transitioning into the RN program this fall. I'm sure it's a lot at first but you will be comfortable before you know it! I can see you liking the ER or another fast-paced hospital environment with your personality. Good luck Janelle!
ReplyDelete